by Dan Ketchum
To find modern euphoria (no, not the HBO show), it helps to go back to ancient euphoric meaning. In Greek, euphoros means “healthy,” a word that evolved to mean the medical state in which a person finds themselves “eas’d or reliev’d” by the time it hit 18th-century England.
Today, a euphoric high might just leave you both super eased and mega relieved. But it’s so much more than that. Here’s what you need to know to get your euphoric high on — from the strains that set the mood to the elevated experiences that you’ll never want to forget.
What Is a Euphoric High?
While some highs – often those derived from indica strains – are more peaceful, relaxed, or calming, euphoric highs are characterized by blissful feelings that are typically high-energy.
The euphoric high is not only clear-eyed, it’s known for enhancing your sense of clarity just as much as it can make your surroundings seem, at times, almost hyper-real. This can have a powerful effect on sensory experiences; as canna-culture magazine Maximum Yield puts it, “Music, art, poetry, and food take on a more profound meaning” when you’re living a euphoric high. It’s important to clarify that euphoria is all about positive energy, not anxiousness.
The Strains That Get You There
Different strains of cannabis contain varying amounts of the elements that lend your favorite flowers their identities, such as foundational cannabinoids, aromatic terpenes, psychoactive THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), and level-headed CBD (cannabidiol). Each strain is unique and there are exceptions to the rule, but in general, indica strains help promote relaxation while sativa strains – often high in THC content, making them more psychoactive – are considered more creative, high-energy, and bliss-inducing. You’ll find blends and hybrids along this spectrum, too, which can change how the high feels. The terpene content of specific strains may also help contribute to a euphoric high — look for strains that are high in myrcene, humulene, and caryophyllene.
Luckily, there’s no shortage of strains that are naturally euphoric or have been bred to produce sensations of euphoria. Experts like Leafly, Healthline, Westword, and, well, us, recommend exploring strains such as these for a variety of euphoric highs:
- Chocolope (sativa) offers a moderate amount of THC, making it a more even-keeled high perfect for creative activities.
- Citrus Farmer (hybrid) leans into the citrus-fresh terpenes common among lots of sativas, packing a strong combo of elation and thoughtfulness.
- Durban Poison (sativa) might just be one of the most energizing sativas out there, lending itself to active, art-fueled moments.
- Electric Lemonade (sativa) often creates a physical high that stimulates creative thoughts and uplifting feelings.
- Girl Scout Cookies (hybrid) is a popular high-THC strain known for producing feelings of happiness and full-body relaxation (and also cases of the munchies sometimes).
- Lucid Blue (sativa) has more CBD content than most sativas – up to 4% – making it a newbie-friendly strain that can help you focus on your surroundings.
- Sour Diesel (sativa) strikes a time-tested middle ground between dreamlike and cerebral highs, and it hits fast, too.
- Strawberry Cough (sativa) is all about taking you to a happy place with strong sensations of sharp joyfulness.
- Super Silver Haze (sativa) has taken home first prize at the High Times cannabis cup numerous times for its de-stressing body high and energetic, long-lasting effects.
- Tangerine Power (hybrid) isn’t kidding about the “power” part – this one is all about over-the-top euphoria and all-over body highs.
And don’t forget, our uplifting Over the Rainbow pen packs a blend of euphoric strains like Electric Lemonade, Super Silver Haze, Sour Diesel, energizing Guava, and bright Hermosa.
Setting the Scene
Your choice of strain is absolutely crucial to a euphoric high — Northern Lights or Herijuana might have you in the mood for a sunny hammock rather than a blissed-out excursion, for instance. But it’s only the beginning of curating a truly euphoric experience. Think of it as laying the foundation on which you’ll build a house of euphoria.
The euphoric high is very much a sensory thing, so to maximize all aspects of your experience, you’ll want to leverage that. You might already know that we’re fans of nature, and few things can intensify the beauty of your favorite hike, mountainside view, or beachside vista better than a euphoric high. Euphoria jells wonderfully with the outdoors, but you can also leverage its capacity to enhance creative experiences by crafting a vibe in aesthetically outstanding spaces, whether that space is a glamped-out Joshua Tree yurt, perfectly designed conversation pit, or pop art museum.
Surround yourself with art to feed that beatific euphoria. A good playlist, especially upbeat or vibey tunes like those EDM, soul, or ambient genres, enhances the high as it empowers the music. Creative and focusing strains will have you finding mind-bending details to appreciate in both new and familiar visual art, or discovering vibrant flavor notes in wines, whiskies, and small plates alike. Try scotch or maple and rosemary flavors with citrus strains and Sauvignon Blanc, mushrooms, or mozzarella cheese with pinene terpenes.
At Mistifi, we believe that so much of cannabis’ potential lies in how experiential it can be. Likewise, the energetic, clear-headed and inspirational nature of a euphoric high invites all kinds of perfectly paired activities that take full advantage of the moment. Just for starters:
- A majestic hike
- Paint night, or any other sort of communal art-making
- A walk through a sculpture garden
- Camping in safe, beautiful spaces
- A vinyl listening party
- Cooking outdoor meals
- Yoga or Tai chi practice
- A visit to an art museum
- Surfing or swimming in the ocean
- Wine tasting
A good euphoric high has the potential to be many things, but it’s very often a social high. Which brings us to our final ingredient for an energetic, lucid, and inspirative experience that you’ll never forget: your friends and loved ones. Those brilliant, Technicolor-vivid memories are gorgeous on their own, but they’re even better when you’ve got someone to share them with.
Dan Ketchum splits his time between Dallas and LA as a freelance lifestyle, fashion, health, and food writer with more than a decade of experience. In cannabis, been fortunate enough to collaborate with Cannabis & Tech Today, FOCL, Vitagenne, Reign Together, Tough Mama, and more.